The Eight Ounce Method
- Place a filter in the top of the CHEMEX®.
- Pour hot/boiling water through until all of the filter is saturated.
- Pour the water out of the CHEMEX®, via the channel, ensuring that the filter remains in place
- Grind and add coffee into the filter
- Start timer and pour enough water (195-205º) to saturate the coffee
- Swirl or stir coffee to fully saturate and let bloom for 45 seconds
- Add rest of water pouring in a clockwise, circular motion, without pouring to the very edge or overfilling the filter
- Once draw down is complete, remove the filter
- Aerate the coffee by moderately to vigorously swirling the brewed coffee in the carafe in a circular motion. Start with 5-10 seconds of swirling and adjust from there. It may take more than one brew to determine how much aeration suits your taste.
- Enjoy drinking your delicious coffee
The CHEMEX® Method
Get Into The Grind
Grind your favorite whole bean coffee to a medium coarse ground.
Open a CHEMEX® Bonded Coffee Filter into a cone shape so that one side of the cone has three layers, and place it into the top of the CHEMEX® Coffeemaker. The thick three-layer portion should cover the pouring spout.
Put one rounded tablespoon of ground coffee for every 5 oz. cup into the filter cone. Feel free to use more if you prefer it stronger; our CHEMEX® Coffeemaker brewing process eliminates bitterness and acidity.
Let It Bloom
Once you have brought the appropriate amount of water to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it to stop boiling vigorously. Pour a small amount of water in a circular motion over the coffee grounds to wet them, and wait for about 30 seconds for the grounds to "bloom".
After the grounds bloom, slowly pour the water over the grounds while keeping the water level well below the top of the CHEMEX® Coffeemaker (a quarter inch or more).
Slowly pour the remaining water over the grounds, using a circular or back-and-forth motion as you pour to ensure an even saturation of the coffee.
Toss The Filter
Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, lift the filter with spent grounds out of the brewer and discard. Our filters are biodegradable and compostable.
Moderately to vigorously swirl the brewed coffee in the carafe in a circular motion, being careful not to splash it out of the coffeemaker. Begin with 5-10 seconds of swirling and adjust from there. It may take more than one brew to dial in what tastes best for a particular bag of beans. This process is aerating the coffee and changing the flavor of the coffee after extraction.
Taste your creation
Pour your freshly made coffee into your CHEMEX® mug and indulge in the flavor.